A Chewy & Crunchy Christmassy Biscuit that everyone will love to Bake & Decorate!
I have been asking on my Facebook page recently what sort of Christmas themed recipes everyone wanted and this was 100% one of them – like so many people asked for it, I couldn’t not bake it! The only other Christmassy biscuits I have on my blog already are my White Chocolate & Cranberry Cookies and my Chocolate Orange Cookies – and don’t get me wrong, both of these are delicious – however, they aren’t gingerbread men.
I have had my troubles with gingerbread over the years strangely enough, even if it seems like one of the most common Christmas bakes. I have tried other recipes and they have all gone so wrong – spreading so much they from a giant cookie, or being so crunchy I feel like my teeth will break – this recipe though, its the perfect mix of crunchy & chewy, and they don’t spread! The men actually still look like men when they come out the oven!
This recipe has also been featured on itsabakingthing.com HERE! 🙂 itsabakingthing.com have also interviewed me for their ‘#bakingchat’ section before for some of my expert advice, and what I like to do in the kitchen – and you can check out the interview with them HERE!
But anyway, this recipe honestly is my go-to gingerbread biscuit recipe, I have never failed with it since I developed the recipe, and its been a massive hit with all of my taste testers over time. Enjoy!
This recipe makes 30 Biscuits!
– 375g Plain Flour
– 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
– 3tsps Ground Ginger
– 120g Unsalted Butter, cold, cubed
– 175g Light Brown Sugar
– 5tbsps Golden Syrup
– 1 Large Egg, beaten
– Coloured Writing Gels/Royal Icing
1) Preheat your oven to 190C/180C Fan and line 3-4 Baking trays with Parchment paper (or do it in two batches if you only have two trays!)
2) Add the flour, Bicarbonate of Soda, and Ginger to a large bowl and add the Cold, Cubed Butter to the bowl – rub together with your fingers until it resembles bread crumbs! (Or mix the four ingredients in a food processor till its breadcrumbs!)
3) Mix the sugar into the mix and combine, and then add the Golden Syrup and Egg – beat with a spatula/your hands until it is a smooth dough – It may seem a little crumbly at first, but if you knead it it’ll come together!
4) Knead the biscuit dough, and then Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface – roll it out to 1/2cm thickness and cut out your desired shapes! I did Gingerbread men, snowmen, and Christmas trees!
5) Place them on the lined baking trays and bake in the oven for 10-11 minutes, cool on a wire rack fully, and then decorate how you please!
Tips and Ideas
I like my biscuits very Gingery otherwise it just doesn’t float my boat, but feel free to use less! (Or even a different spice – like cinnamon!)
These biscuits will last for about a week in an airtight container, if they last that long!
Find my other Cookie/Christmas recipes on my Recipes Page!
© Jane’s Patisserie 2015