A Nutty & Chocolatey version of the Italian Classic Biscuit – Biscotti. Perfect delicious bake, perfect to dunk in your favourite hot drink!
If you have been living under a rock (or in a different country) you may not have realise that The Great British Bake Off is back on TV for its latest series – pushing the contestants to bake things they have never heard of, or things they love. The second week was Biscuit week – definitely one of my favourites – and they were asked to bake Biscotti!
I have always loved Biscotti because its a crunchy cookie biscuit hybrid that I adore dunking into my Hot Chocolates as it can withstand a lot more dunking then some other biscuits that are around!
This recipe is inspired by the lovely Paul Hollywood – how could it not be when its GBBO related!
This makes roughly 15!
– 250g Plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
– 200g Caster Sugar
– 1/2tsp Baking Powder
– 2 Medium Eggs, Beaten
– 150g Shelled Pistachios, Chopped
– 150g Milk Chocolate Chips
– 150g Dark Chocolate, Melted
– Chopped Hazelnuts
1) Preheat your oven to 180C/160CFan and Line two baking trays with parchment paper – leave to the side.
2) Mix together the Flour, Caster Sugar and Baking Powder in a large bowl until combined well. Gradually mix in the Beaten Eggs a bit at a time and mix fully before the next addition of eggs – your mixture shouldn’t be sticky (however, if you find it is very very dry and not mixing well then add a touch more egg from a 3rd!) I used my hands to mix 🙂
3) Pour in the Pistachios & Chocolate Chips and knead well to combine the flavourings and the biscotti well!
4) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times so its smooth. Split the dough into two even sizes and roll out to form thick but flat sausages/logs (I recommend 4cm in width, 2-3cm in depth and whatever length is produced!)
5) Place one on to each of the baking trays and bake in the oven for 30 minutes! Once baked, remove from the oven, keep them on the trays, and keep the oven on but reduce it to 160C/140CFan!
6) Leave the Logs for 10-15 minutes until they have cooled slightly, cut the logs into the biscotti shapes, about 2-3 inches in thickness. Line them up again on the trays with the cut side up and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until they are dry through (poke them a bit and if they’re still a bit cakey then bake for a couple minutes longer!) Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
7) Dip the ends into the melted chocolate and sprinkle with the chopped Hazelnuts! Enjoy!
Tips and Ideas
This is obviously my favourite combination of flavours, hence the recipe – however, you can try a variety of ideas such as replacing the Pistachios with the same weight of Dried Cranberries, Stoned Dates, Chopped Hazelnuts, Almonds etc! Its entirely up to you! 🙂
These last for about 2 weeks in an airtight container, but mine never last that long! 🙂
Find my other Biscuit & Cookie Recipes on my Recipes Page!