Minty & Moist Chocolate Chip Cupcakes, topped with a Mint Buttercream and a Yummy Chocolate Drizzle!
I have aaaaalways loved Chocolate, and Cupcakes, and Minty things… so this combination seemed perfect. And it definitely was! I love using Mint in Buttercream and in Sponge mixes as it makes it a subtle yet perfect amount of flavour.. and the extra crunch almost of the chocolate chips is seriously delicious.
This is another request made by my Facebook followers, and I am so glad that it was asked for – I lovelovelove these cupcakes and I hope they go down well with you guys too!
Cupcakes are those treats that satisfy my need for cake perfectly. I admit that Mint & Chocolate is more of a Christmassy combination, but I like this sort of thing anytime of the year – just because its July doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy something Christmas like! The minty success of my Mint Slice means I have to do another Minty recipe! And anyway, somebody asks for a recipe, I have to comply right?! Right?
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes!
Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
– 150g Butter
– 150g Caster Sugar
– 3 Medium Eggs
– 125g Self Raising Flour
– 25g Cocoa Powder
– 1tsp Peppermint Essence
– 100g Milk Chocolate Chips
– 150g Butter, room temperature
– 450g Icing Sugar
– 1-2tsp Peppermint Essence
– Green Food Colouring
– 50g Dark Chocolate, melted
1) For the Cupcakes – Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a Muffin Tray with 12 Cases
2) With a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy – I do this for 3-4 minutes so its super smooth and light – this makes it a moist recipe, and very light too!
3) Add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, eggs & peppermint essence and beat again – try not to over-mix however as it’ll make the cupcakes not so light & fluffy.
4) If the mix is too dry add 1-3tbsp Whole Milk till you have the correct consistency. Fold through the chocolate chips and pour into the Cupcake Cases (I use an ice cream scoop so its even across all of the cupcakes!) Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through! Once baked leave to cool.
5) For the Buttercream – Beat the icing sugar until smooth and supple for 3-4 minutes, gradually add the icing sugar until a buttercream is formed. Add the peppermint essence & green food colouring to the colour you want and beat for at least 5-8 minutes or so until its smooth and fluffy!
6) To Decorate the Cupcakes – Pipe onto your cupcakes with your favourite nozzle – I used an Open Star tip – definitely one of my favourites!
7) Decorate with a drizzle of melted chocolate and ENJOY THEM ALL!
Tips and Ideas
These cupcakes will last in an Airtight Container for 3 days – in the fridge if its hot!
I use my KitchenAid mixer when I make all of my cakes, with the paddle attachment – I find it beats the cakes in a really good way, and minimises the mixing! I also use my KitchenAid for the Buttercream, but with the Whisk attachment – makes it so smooth and fluffy!
If you’re not a massive fan of mint then use less if you like, or more if you want too – its entirely up to you! I just find the amount I used was tiptop perfect! 🙂
Find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!