Vanilla Sponges filled with a Caramel Sauce – topped with a Chocolate Buttercream, and a touch of Shortbread = Millionaires Shortbread in a Cupcake!
After posting my recipe for Millionaires Shortbread recently I decided that this still wasn’t enough – I seriously adore Caramel Shortbread, like to the extent that I buy it when I’m at work for my break… dedicated. But anyway, the combination of shortbread, chocolate & caramel is heaven for me. This created the mindset of ‘must have it again’ but decided to try something a little different… cupcakes!
The moist Vanilla sponge has a hidden caramel centre topped with a light & fluffy chocolate buttercream. HELLO YUMMY! I did think however that this was not enough, hence the extra drizzle of chocolate, and the shortbread in the cupcake! Perfection.
Sometimes I find that cupcakes have too much buttercream, so when I pipe my buttercream I do some with more buttercream than others so others have the choice of what they want! The shortbread in this cupcake does also help this though as I like to eat it with some of the buttercream! Unhealthy? Yes. Delicious though!
This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes!
– 200g Butter
– 200g Caster Sugar
– 4 Eggs
– 200g Self-Raising Flour
– 1tsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– Dulce-de-Leche/Carnations Caramel
– 175g Butter
– 500g Icing Sugar
– 50g Cocoa Powder
– 50ml-75ml Whole Milk
– Melted Chocolate
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan and line a 12-hole Muffin Tray with cases
2) Mix together all of the cupcake ingredients on a medium speed (I use my KitchenAid, any electric mixer will do!) until mixed through together thoroughly – try not to mix more than necessary!
3) Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases (just over half full) and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until slightly golden on top and a skewer poked into one of them comes out clean – remove from the trays and leave to cool on a wire rack.
4) Once cooled, cut out a hole in the middle of the cupcake (like you would a butterfly cupcake!) and spoon in some caramel.
5) To make the Chocolate Buttercream – Beat the butter with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes to loosen it – gradually beat in the icing sugar until well combined, then add the cocoa powder and milk – beat for 5 minutes until a silky lovely buttercream texture is produced
6) To decorate the Cupcakes – I used a 1M wilton tip to decorate my cakes but you can do whatever you like! 🙂 Add in a shortbread cookie, or crumble it over the top!
7) Once iced, melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl in the microwave in short bursts or over a pan of simmering water and drizzle over the top!
Tips and Ideas
I keep my Cupcakes in the fridge when its Spring/Summer time, but they will last in an airtight container in or out of the fridge for 3-4 days (if they last that long!)
You can find my other Cupcake Recipes on my Recipes Page!