Chocolatey Cupcakes studded with Chunks of Terry’s Chocolate Orange, topped with an Orange Buttercream, and even more Chocolate Orange!
It’s no secret that I LOVE the Chocolate & Orange combination – its my addiction – and I have had many people ask for a Cupcake version of my Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake so I thought I would oblige (and I seriously craved some anyway!)
After some research I found that a lot of Chocolate Orange Cupcakes consist of Chocolate Orange Buttercream – and this sounds amazing, however, I wanted to try something a little different compared to most of what I had seen! I did however compensate for the lesser amount of Chocolate Orange by adding chunks of the chocolate to the sponge – and this was an amazing idea. I LOVE it. They suit the taste of the sponge perfectly, and make it a little different! 🙂
These cupcakes are super easy to bake, just like any other cupcake, but they definitely have the WOW factor! These went down an absolute treat with my trusted Taste Testers and they wanted more. Seriously, I’m not joking!
If you are not a fan of the actual Terry’s Chocolate Orange, or you cant get access too it, you can use normal Milk/Dark Chocolate and add in Orange Zest to be a delicious substitute!
This recipe makes 12 Cupcakes!
– 150g Butter
– 150g Caster Sugar
– 120g Self-Raising Flour
– 30g Cocoa Powder
– 3 Eggs
– Finely Grated Zest of 1 Orange
– 1x 175g Terry’s Chocolate Orange, chopped up!
– 175g Butter
– 500g Icing Sugar
– Orange Food Colouring
– 2tbsp Orange Juice/Orange Flavour Extract
– Chocolate Orange Segments
– Melted Chocolate
1) For the Cupcakes – Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a muffin tray with cases. Chop up your Chocolate Orange if you haven’t done so already!
2) Beat the Butter and Caster Sugar together until smooth and fluffy, I beat mine for 2 minutes. Add the Self-Raising Flour, Cocoa Powder & Eggs and beat again. Try not to over beat, or mix too quickly as this will cause it to go icky and bake unevenly!
3) Fold through the Chocolate Orange Chunks and spoon into your cases – using an Ice-cream scoop is easier as it will make each cupcake have the same amount! Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until cooked through! Leave to cool on a wire rack.
4) For the Buttercream – Beat the Butter for 3-4 minutes until very smooth and supple, you need it to be smooth so that the Icing Sugar goes in easier!
5) Gradually add the Icing Sugar (I add mine 100g at a time) and beat each time – add the Orange Flavouring, and Food Colouring – I like to use the Fresh Orange Juice, but if you’d rather add the Flavour Extract that is fine too! 🙂
6) Pipe your Buttercream onto the cakes how you please and decorate!
Tips and Ideas
I looooove using Terry’s Chocolate Orange as the flavour is amazing. However, you can easily use the same weight of chocolate, and just add the zest of two oranges if you don’t have access too it! 🙂 Also, with the Orange Extract Flavouring, add it a couple of drops at a time till you get your desired flavour – some need a few teaspoons, some need a couple of drops depending on where they’re from!
These Cupcakes will last in an airtight container for 3 days!
Here are some of my other Chocolate Orange Recipes!
Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake
Find my other Cupcake recipes on my Recipes Page!