Chocolate & Orange Zest Bundt Cake with Orange Sugar Sand and a dash of Terry’s Chocolate Orange!
I have put up a few bundt cake recipes in my time now, including a chocolate one, but something about Chocolate & Orange together is a marriage made in heaven. My recipe for my Chocolate Orange Cookies is amazingly popular, and is one my boyfriends absolute favourite cookies ever! After the success of the cookies I thought I would develop a Cake version that would be perfect for Afternoon Tea, or just a Cake for the week!
This cake has a delicious light and moist sponge even with the flavouring – using cocoa powder gives you the flavour of the chocolate without making the cake too dense, and the orange gives it a nice citrusy zing!
I find that this recipe is easy to follow, and is totally worth it in the end! I spent ages researching into chocolate bundt cake recipes, even looking at my own, but I wanted to try something else – this one is perfect for the orange flavouring! I hope you all like it too!
This cake makes a 25cm bundt cake!
– 100g Cocoa Powder
– 200ml Boiling Water
– 5 Medium Eggs
– 1 tbsp Vanilla Bean Extract
– 275g Butter, softened
– 340g Self-Raising Flour
– 2tsp Baking Powder
– 500g Caster Sugar
– Zest of 1 large Orange
– Zest of 1 large Orange
– 1tbsp Caster Sugar
– 1x Terry’s Chocolate Orange, Melted
1) Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and grease and flour a Bundt/Ring tin well – Mine was the Master Class 25cm Pan!
2) Mix the Cocoa Powder and Water together and stir until a smooth paste is formed, leave to the side.
3) With an electric mixer, I used my KitchenAid, Mix the eggs, vanilla, and butter together with the cocoa powder mixture for 1 minute until combined, make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl half way through to catch everything.
4) With the mixer on a low speed, add the self raising four, sugar, orange zest, and baking powder and mix until combined. Pour into the tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until risen and a skewer comes out clean!
5) Leave to rest for 10 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool fully.
6) Whilst cooling, mix the second lot of orange zest with the tablespoon of sugar until an orange sand is formed.
7) Once the cake is cooled, Melt the Terry’s Chocolate Orange over the cake and sprinkle the sugar on top. Serve, and eat it all!
Tips and Ideas
I have often covered this cake with a chocolate orange ganache, but I find the melted chocolate is delicious enough as it has so much flavour! I sometimes put in chopped up chunks of Chocolate Orange into the cake as well, but I wouldn’t put more than 1 as it might moisten the cake too much and make it hard to get out of the tin!
This will last in an airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature!
P.S. Chocolate + orange + cake = YES
Find my other Cake & Dessert recipes on my Recipes Page!