Zingy Citrus Lemon Cake with Poppyseeds drizzled with a fresh Lemon Icing – Perfect for dessert on a summers evening!
Lemon and Poppyseed is a delicious combination – Lemon cake in general is delicious and light, yet poppyseed gives it an extra added flavour. Following on from my delicious Lemon & Poppyseed Cupcakes I thought I should branch out and create a whole cake for it – and why not make it a bundt cake as they always look so good!
This recipe is super zingy and fresh and perfect for any citrus lovers – and the added aromatic flavour and crunch of the poppyseed’s makes it the perfect combination. With an added sharp yet sweet lemon icing too the top it creates the perfect spring, summer, autumn.. basically all year round dessert, and makes an amazing alternative to chocolate!
I decided to do a simple drizzle icing on top to create an extra sharp yet sweet flavour on it! My family (daily taste-testers) gave this recipe a massive thumbs up, so much so my mum took half of it to work with her to give to her work colleagues!
I have tried this cake with Lemon & Lime, and even Blood Orange and it is SERIOUSLY delicious – Simple swap out the same amount of lemon for your other citrus alternative! The cake mix is incredibly easy to make, and I know bundt cakes can be terrifying, but as long as you grease and flour your tin well enough then it should be fine!
I used my Masterclass 25cm Fluted Ring Pan!
– 225g butter/margarine
– 300g golden caster sugar
– 4 eggs
– 325g plain flour
– 50g cornflour
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 175ml full fat milk
– Zest of 2 lemons
– 30g poppyseeds
– 300g icing sugar
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Sprinkle of poppyseeds
– Lemon Zest
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/170C Fan – grease and flour a bundt tin for later
2) Combine your margarine/butter and sugar into a light fluffy mixture so it is creamed well together. Add your eggs, flour, cornflour, and baking powder and mix – gradually add the milk as you do this – it should become a smooth and silky cake mixture
3) Fold in the poppyseeds and lemon zest to the mixture
4) Pour the mixture into the bundt tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer poked into the deepest part comes out clean.
5) Remove in the oven and leave for 10 minutes then gently try and ease the cake out of the tin!
6) Once cooled, mix the icing sugar, lemon juice and water together to make an icing and pour the icing over the cake – finish by sprinkling the poppyseed’s over the top!
7) Enjoy with a good cuppa or coffee!
Tips and Ideas
You can use all sorts of bundt tins but my favourite ones are Nordic Ware or Masterclass tins – They’re beautiful! If you don’t have a bundt tin then just bake it in a normal cake tin and decorate in the same way, but the recipe is design for a bundt tin!
Depending on the type of tin you use it can affect the baking time – With the Masterclass tin it took 30 minutes, with the Nordic Ware it took nearer 40 minutes – so keep an eye on it after 30 minutes! 🙂
P.s. If you’re not a fan of lemon, this might not be your favourite, but saying that… my boyfriend hates lemon and he loved it!
Find my other Cake & Dessert recipes on my Recipes Page!