When asked to make cupcakes for a customer you comply as much as possible. The request of fruit and vegetable cakes is one of my favourite – so along with my classic Carrot & Walnut Cupcakes, I decided to create some Lemon & Poppyseed cakes to accompany them.
This makes 12 large cupcakes, 24 small ones.
– 215g margarine/butter
– 215g caster sugar
– 215g self raising flour
– 4 eggs
– 2 tablespoons poppyseeds
– Zest of two lemons
– 150g butter
– 400g icing sugar
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– Sprinkles of yellow/white decorations
– Sprinkles of poppyseeds
1) Preheat the oven to 180C, 160C Fan
2) Combine your margarine/butter and sugar into a light fluffy mixture so it is creamed well together
3) Add your flour and eggs and combine well
4) Stir in the poppyseeds and lemon zest
5) Split the mixture into the cupcake/muffin cases
6) Bake the cakes for roughly 20 minutes until they are cooked through (poke them with a stick to make sure it comes out clean) they should be light and springy to touch.
7) Whilst they are cooking or cooling you can make the buttercream – mix the icing sugar and butter well and add the lemon juice for a touch of flavour.
8) Pipe the buttercream onto the cakes (I used a 1M tip) or decorate however you liked, and decorate with the poppyseeds and yellow & white decorations
Tips and Ideas
You can use lemon extract for a stronger flavour if you wish, I just find the lemon juice easier as you have already zested the lemons.